2008-11-09

Nina Hagen Band

Yes, I know, this is no punk and no ndW but way back in 1978 it was the hottest and wildest thing in West-Germany and it really sounded punkish compared to anything else that came out of Germany at that time. But when the first independent punk releases were made available we all noticed it was just sped-up krautrock with an opera-singer. On the positive side Nina Hagen wasn't yet talking about ufos and aliens :-)
Link

3 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Haha, the best 'punk' German export for ages... "Sped up krautrock"? Well, not exactly the krautrock I love (Can, Neu, stuff from AshRa/Manuel Göttsching, early Düül)... In fact the most clear influence you can hear is not German but British - GENESIS!, check that (particularly their sound in "The lamb lies down on Broadway")... Funny cos many people always told me that NHB had this unique sound... I never saw that, I always thought it sounded too un-punk und pre-77. The song 'Pank' is good punk anyway (& it was co-written w/Ari Up from the Slits) & Wau Wau reminds me of the Dead Kennedys' "Dog bite"...
Oh I'm surprised about the Unbehagen sleeve, I never knew there was a different one, gotta check that...
Grüsse,
Fernando :)

martinf hat gesagt…

Hi Fernando,
I never listened to Genesis (still refusing to do so), so the only influence I detect are The Tubes, some kind of mixture between Zappa and mainstream rock. And "Pank" isn't really punk 'cause the musicians can't play a straight rhythm, too much prog rock in their fingers.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Is that Genesis thing some kind of oath? :D After all I'm talking about Genesis before Ph. Collins took over singing, ahem... Not that I listen to that kind of stuff daily, anyway. Just on masoko days. About 'Pank', well, yeah, it sounds unnatural. But it's the punkiest song in the record with Nina trying to spit out nasty lyrics. Btw the other day I visited her homepage and it's become really weird since the last had I had visited it some years ago. Yes, full of ufos and aliens. Trying to find something there (some lyrics for example) can be a real headache...
Saludos,
Fernando :)